Portable and standby generators perform the same basic function. They both provide electricity to your home when the power goes out. The question is, which one should you choose to keep your home running smoothly during a storm? It really depends on what you need from a generator. At Countryside Electric, Inc., we’re giving you a brief rundown of the key differences between a portable and standby generator, so you can make the best decision for you and your home.
Portable generators provide electricity to your home through the use of a gas-powered engine. They typically burn through 12 to 20 gallons of gasoline per day, depending on the type of portable generator. These movable generators have power outlets located on them, so you can plug extension cords or other appliances directly into the machine. This allows you to run extension cords into your home to plug in your refrigerator, lights, and other appliances.
- Tend to be noisier than standby generators.
- Produce less power than standby generators.
- Need to be wheeled out of storage and started manually in the event of a power outage.
- Need to be protected from the outdoor elements with a cover or canopy of some kind.
Standby generators, also called stationary generators, are permanently installed on your property by a professional electrician. The greatest advantage of a standby generator over a portable generator is that it automatically kicks on in the event of a power outage. The Generac generators at Countryside Electric kick on within 10 seconds of the power going out.
Standby generators also:
- Have insulated weatherproof housing to protect it from the elements.
- Are relatively quiet to run and operate.
- Run on natural gas or propane.
- Can operate for days or weeks on a full whole-house propane tank.
Choose a Standby Generator Today
At Countryside Electric, we highly recommend a standby generator over a portable generator as there are many advantages to this type of generator. We’re happy to help you choose the best model for your home. Contact us today at (614) 478-7960 to learn more. We also provide general residential electrical services, commercial lighting installations, and personalized house wiring throughout the Columbus, OH, area.